Changing my Lifestyle for Lent: Goin' Fishin'

By | 6:45 AM 2 comments




I have to start this off by saying: I am not catholic. I am about as southern Baptist as you can get; or at least I was raised that way (my views have become much more liberal over the years). However, I think lent is a great way to practice discipline and increase your connection with God.(because it takes PRAYER on top of prayer to get through 40 days without some of your favorite pleasures)

This year for my modified lent season, I’ve decided to go 40 days STRAIGHT without red meat and chicken. That’s right; the meat in my diet is limited to fish and shellfish. I know for a fact that I cannot go without meat; my doctor requires I have adequate protein sources and I grew up on a southern-style meat and potatoes diet. 

To make things worse, I’ve decided to cut out bread and grains as well. Carbs are a no-no for me. They trigger my body to act a complete fool-so cutting them out as much as possible, as hard as that is, seems like a necessary evil. 

My day one diary went a little something like this:

Breakfast-Egg whites and cheese on a low carb English muffin
Lunch-Ancho Chile Salmon with grilled asparagus and roasted tomatoes
Snack-Pepper jack cheese (yummmmm)
Dinner- Garlic Butter Shrimp with garlic roasted asparagus and a glass of red wine (pictured above)

I even survived a trip to H-E-B starving without falling victim to the awesome snack aisle and bakery.

I feel that being pescatarian is against the rules as a Texan; I mean there's no BBQ on this earth like a good Texas brisket. So while adopting this lifestyle might lead to minor lifestyle changes, I don't think its something I can do for my remaining days on earth. 


So what are you "giving up" for the lent season? Is it a jump start to giving it up for good for you?
Newer Post Older Post Home

2 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to reduce my social time on the internet to an hour or two a day, that way I can be more productive. Also gonna only eat grains once a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish i could reduce my social time too. I spend WAYYYY to much time looking at the screen everyday.

      Delete