Resolution Hangovers: How to overcome them

By | 7:41 AM Leave a Comment


Its February. How are your resolutions going?

Surprisingly, I have not quite given up on my resolutions. For many people, february is when resolution hangovers come through and completely knock you off of your feet. The gym starts thinning out around valentine's day. Your journal's blank pages become plentiful again. Your budgeting goes out of the window now that you've recovered from Christmas shopping. So how do you stop that?

1. Limit your resolutions.
I say make no more than three SOLID resolutions for a year. Many of us make a list of things we want to accomplish and try to start them all at the same time, which can (and most likely will) lead to a MAJOR burnout. At the beginning of this year, I set three goals.

-Start (and keep up with) a blog
-Workout/Lose Weight
-Maintain a 3.5GPA in grad school.

So far, so good. Ive been eating much healthier (Im down 90 pounds from last year), school just started but my grades have been good, and my blog was off to an AMAZING start three weeks ago and I have already been added to local media lists. 

This has been the most successful resolution season for me yet. Because I kept my list small and delegate time every week to accomplishing my goals.

2. You have TWELVE months to accomplish them. Spread out resolutions if you need to.

Even with just a small list of resolutions, life can come at you fast and limit your free time. Start slow with one and include the other resolutions into your life when you can. School is my priority so if that means reducing my blogging from 5 times a week to 2 times a week, thats fine!

3. Put the self-help books/manuals/resources DOWN and just DO IT!

Can you believe I just said that?! Yes, the internet is great because we have a wealth of resources at our fingertips BUT its just as easy to be discouraged or overwhelmed by them. When I was researching how to start my blog, I read every article, every word and used every template I could to get it off the ground. I became overwhelmed with starting. Was I ready? I haven't filled out this profile yet. I don't have this done yet. I haven't read this blog yet. This became a business more than a passion and I was almost discouraged to even start the blog. It wasn't until I put my books and manuals down and put my pen to the paper that I actually started the blog and got content up.

Sidenote: Have you noticed a lot of the self help gurus got their start by just doing it?! Experts all start out as novices.

4. Have a resolution buddy.

Sometimes when you set out goals you feel you are alone. Lifestyle changes like losing weight can be so taxing doing it alone that you feel giving up is your best option. Have a resolution buddy. Set out days to meet up, talk about your progress, be a listening ear, suggest improvements or changes. And the good thing is-that person doesn't have to have the same resolutions as you-in fact their unique perspective can help you!

So, ask yourself how can you see your resolutions through to the new year and let's make it happen! Have you kept up with your resolutions so far? If so, what motivates you to see them through?
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: