City Sights: Why Houston's MKT bar is my favorite place.

By | 11:07 AM Leave a Comment

I love good food.
And I love good wine even more.
I also love great deals.

That alone could be the end of this post but since you're here for the details, let me tell you about MKT bar. 

Located downtown inside of the Phonecia Foods, MKT bar is easily Houston's best kept (somewhat) secret. They offer daily specials, amazing entertainment from local artists, great service and even better food and wine. 

I stumbled upon MKT bar while working with the Houston Press' street team for a collaborative event they hosted. MKT bar is one of those places that is sadly overlooked because its associated with Phonecia foods-a speciality grocery store. But in the evening, the bar turns into an amazing entertainment space and restaurant for Houstonians.

I love tuesday and thursday nights at MKT bar because they are serving the best steak deal in the city. For $13, you get a six-ounce grilled steak topped with chimichurri sauce, a mound of thin onion rings, a mashed potato and a Mediterranean side salad. I added a 8 dollar glass of wine to my meal, making this great, quality feast just $21 before the tip. 


I even managed to snap a few (camera-phone quality) photos before I basically inhaled my dinner:


Even the salad was amazing. 

If Steak isn't your thing: Try their weekend brunch.

I spend most of my time at MKT bar during the week or enjoying drinks and reserve happy hour during their Saturday night Motown sessions/DJ set. However, I always saw ads for their brunch and the menu looked great, so I made it my duty a few weeks ago to try it out.


Admit it: Chicken and Waffles has never looked so good.

So after serving the Lord one sunday morning, my girls and I hit Austin Street to put MKT bar's brunch to the test. You could say we are brunch connoisseurs: We've been to the best (and worst) brunches in the bayou city.

We all ordered the chicken and waffles because after all-thats what brought us there. We also ordered sides of bacon and eggs to compliment the meal. I ordered a glass of the Apricots and Honey wine. (because honestly, whats brunch without wine, sangria or mimosas?)


MKT bar isn't just limited to Chicken and Waffles- They have an expansive brunch menu that they serve until 3pm on Saturdays and Sunday.

Right in the midst of being serenaded by the live musician's rendition of Edith Piaf's La Vie En Rose, we received our food.





The apricots and honey wine was different-but delicious.  It would definitely go well with dessert.


The fried chicken had the best breading and seasoning I've had with a chicken and waffles brunch. (Most restaurants go the easy "plain wings" route.) The syrup is something original too- the hints of spice complimented the food well and the syrup wasn't overpoweringly sweet. The portion sizes are amazing too-we all left with to-go plates.

Definitely one of my favorite new brunch spots. I cannot wait to go again and try one of their brunch pizzas.

If you ever have room after dining at MKT bar, I would suggest you try their desserts. Their selection of gelato is AMAZING (try the snickerdoodle) and their unique desserts add to their one of a kind dining experience. 


Better than the food, is the amazing service I receive EVERY time I go to MKT bar. The servers are sociable, fast and accommodating. They will suggest wines+beers, food and even grab a sample for you to try. At this point, I go so often that a few of their staff know me by name. (Should I be embarrassed by that? Because I'm not.)

Don't take my word for it-try MKT bar on any day and you're sure to like their selections and entertainment.




Tell them Jessika from Jess & The City sent you. They'll probably have NO clue who I am, but I've always wanted to say that.


The deets: 
MKT BAR
1001 Austin Street
HOURS
Monday
7:00 am – 10:00 pm
Tuesday
7:00 am – 10:00 pm
Wednesday
7:00 am – 10:00 pm
Thursday
7:00 am – 2:00 am
Friday
7:00 am – 2:00 am
Saturday
9:00 am – 12:00 am
Sunday
9:00 am – 8:00 pm

Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: