ROAD TRIP: Galveston's Lolo Kai Wraps and Smoothies

By | 10:37 PM Leave a Comment


My life/work balance keeps me between two cities: Houston and its neighboring island Galveston.


Galveston is a very supportive community especially in the food scene and it offers so many unique restaurants that you won't find duplicated in the bayou city. So when word got around at my job about a new restaurant on the island, I made it my duty to go check it out.

Lolo kai is the product of husband and wife duo Tani and Kris Trahan, who set out to provide Galveston with food that is healthy, fast and fresh. Their unique restaurant has a variety of flavorful wraps and drinks to choose from. They even began selling breakfast this week. (I’ll make my way over there for an A.M. pick me up soon)

First Impression


The restaurant is open on the corner of 9th and postoffice. For those of you who live or work on the island, its located where Hey Mikey’s used to be.(no worries-Hey Mikey’s isn’t gone; its just relocated) Parking in the area can be discouraging, but don’t let that stop you. Lolo Kai is worth the short walk down the street to its friendly home-like location. 

Seating is available outside under huge red umbrellas on their patio and you can enjoy the beautiful weather and socialize with others while enjoying their wraps and smoothies. 
The inside is bright; which perfectly matches the Trahan’s welcoming personalities. Inside, you’ll see the menu and if you’re a first time visitor, Tani or Kris will help you pick out something to rock your palate. 

The wait was short; there were a couple of orders ahead of me but Kris was handing out the orders with a quickness. That makes Lolo Kai a great option for those of us students or working folk who need to run other errands in our lunch hour.
The Food+Drinks



My go-to? The Jalapeño Chicken Ranch on the Jalapeño Cheddar Tortilla. Is a simple but flavorful mix of chicken, romaine, tomato, a whole avocado (yum), cucumbers and jalapeño ranch dressing (with real jalapeños in the dressing). Its one of their speciality items. Lolo Kai often has specials or giveaways and I got a free Kind granola bar with my wrap (which was perfect as a light “dessert”). Wraps are going to run you about 7 bucks a piece with tax and a tip. (Well spent i must add)

I also sampled the island breeze smoothie. I love an amazing smoothie and this was it. They use FRESH fruit and sherbet; no syrups with added sugar and you can taste the difference. It was like biting into all of your tropical favorites at once. Im excited to try other smoothies on the list.

The red bull smoothie is a Must-try on my list. As a grad student I have had more than one all nighter and I can only imagine how amazing that smoothie would be. (and how much it will help when Im studying!) Expect LoLo Kai’s smoothies to run you 5.50-7 bucks. 

Final word


Its rare that I like the service/people as much as I like the food but Lolo Kai’s owners are just a joy to interact with. They’ve made my experiences there great because they have the best personality. I can really see them becoming a local favorite + calling the island home for a while.
So if you’re looking for a new spot locally islanders, or you are just minutes away on Steward beach for the weekend looking for a fun and fresh lunch or light dinner, check out lolo kai!


Overall Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars (for lunch or a light dinner)
Lolo Kai
901 Postoffice Dr.
Galveston, Texas
Facebook: Lolo Kai’s Smoothies and Wraps
Hours: Monday-Thursday 7am-4pm
Friday: 7am-5pm
Saturday: 9:30am-5pm
Sunday: Closed


Newer Post Home

0 comments: