CITY SIGHTS: WHY WINSTON'S SHOULD BE YOUR WASH AVE FAVE

By | 3:14 PM Leave a Comment


 Like most people last Thursday afternoon at work, I was on Facebook mindlessly passing the time and checking the clock every minute waiting for the hands to move closer to 5pm when I stumbled upon Winston’s. Tagging itself as the “Smallest Dive Bar on Washington” (which may be more of a fact than a just a tag) Winston's is everything you wouldn’t expect from a Wash Ave bar. 


 Just make sure you don’t pass it up casually driving down the street.





Its dog friendly.

With the number of dog friendly spots in Houston dwindling, Winston’s is a breath of fresh air offering plenty of patio space for you and fido to enjoy the Houston weather and Wash Ave scenery.

The specials.



Extended late brunch. $2 wells. 50 cent wings. Salsa and Merengue. The red barn-like building in Houston’s favorite bar scene keeps the specials coming.  Check them out:

Wednesday- 5PM to close- 50 cents wings, $2 domestic drafts and $2 fireballs.

Thursday-5pm to close- ladies night- $2 wells/ domestic drafts (ladies only) and  $6 Winston's burger

Friday-Happy Hour 5PM-9PM- $2 wells and domestic drafts, Latin night (old school Salsa and Merengue)10PM to close- $2 well rums

Saturday- Brunch 11AM, $2 Mimosas and $3 Bloody Marys, Latin night (old school salsa and merengue) 10PM to close- $2 well rums

Sunday-  Brunch 11AM, $2 mimosas and $3 Bloody Marys



Its under new management/ownership + they are awesome.

When my boyfriend and I arrived last Thursday to partake in their ladies night special (my boyfriend was intrigued by the 50 cent wings…but lets be honest, who wouldn’t be?!), we were greeted by a small but happy crowd and the lakers/cavs game playing on the big tv that hides behind the bar.  One of the owners even stopped to chat with us a little during our visit. I am a stickler for great service-I place it above the quality of food and good service will always bring me back. One thing I make sure to do is never tell people Im a blogger-I want to see how they treat the general crowd and Winston’s passed with flying colors. The bar gives me the same small college time feel I had when I went to school in East Texas. In fact, soon enough my boyfriend and I were reminiscing about undergrad life while sipping on our rum and cokes.

The wings.



Last Thursday was my first time at the bar, so I haven’t tasted their brunch fare quite yet but the menu seems tempting and they’ve been named one of the best brunches in Houston. And for a city that takes brunch seriously, that’s no small feat. A quick browse of the brunch menu makes me want to schedule in their Chicken Fried Ribeye next Sunday. However, I can say the wings were delicious. I strongly recommend the sweet thai chile and for those of you who like a kick with your wings-go for the atomic. We ordered 12 and that was more than enough for the two of us and we’ll be back.

I know many of you might be asking-what about parking?

This is a moment of honesty here. Parking anywhere on Wash Ave sucks. There’s no way around it. And with the little sq footage Winstons owns, parking options are limited. However, street parking after six is dirt cheap or free in some areas (Parking two cars last thursday a block from Winstons cost us a WHOPPING $1.30.) and if you prefer it, parking is $5-10 in the neighboring lots on the street. Don’t be discouraged to visit however; while on the search for parking last week, we ran in the bar and the owners gave us the street parking tip. Good looking out Jaime.

Above all, I like Winston’s because its not about the hype; its about fun, good drinks, good food and better service.  In the mix of a street that is home to so many places obsessed with image, that seemingly disappear as fast as they pop up, the smallest dive bar on wash ave stands out as a giant amongst its peers with its relaxed vibe.


Check them out on Facebook or catch them on their site.




Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: