Galveston Restaurant Week: Lunch at Nonno Tony's

By | 9:28 AM 1 comment


Its Galveston Restaurant Week. Just like its Houston counterpart, several restaurants on the island offer lunch and dinner specials at a special price for first time and regular diners to enjoy. Being that I've only been familiar with Galveston for the last two years, this was my first time hearing about it. I managed to drag along my coworkers to experience was Pier 21's Nonno Tonys had to offer for lunch.

Their lunch menu was the most enticing we saw on the restaurant week website. (For a complete list of restaurants participating, click here.) 







Um, an appetizer, entree and dessert for only 10 bucks? HELL YES.

For the most part, Nonno tony's is a seafood restaurant; offering oysters, a variety of fish, crab and lobster for those eating at Pier 21, a Galveston tourist hotspot-offering an industrial but beautiful view  of the port for diners. 

The lunch crowd at 1:30 was packed, many I'm sure taking advantage of the restaurant week special. We were greeted immediately. The ambiance of Nonno Tony's is perfect for lunch and at night turns into the perfect date night spot on the island. (with amazing happy hour specials I might add). Walking in, you see the wait staff in a hustle and bustle interacting with guests who are busy enjoying their wine selection or watching the lobsters in the large tank in front of their kitchen. The chefs are working front and center and diners can watch them prepare and plate items of their menu.

When we were seated, we were greeted immediately by staff and given our drinks. From there, service was a little slow, most likely because of the number of people there for restaurant week, so it took several minutes before we got our bread and oil.



The olive oil and herbs dip was simple and nothing to write home about (the right herbs would have made it divine-the devil is in the details when it comes to food) but the bread was hot and delicious. Our table quickly inhaled the bread as we awaited our entrees.




Jill's Pick




My coworker Jill went with the Chicken Parmesan dish topped with mozzarella with and served with spaghetti. 

Her comments:
The sauce and mozzarella was fantastic and the chicken was moist and flavorful. She would most definitely order the dish again.
Overall rating: 4/5




Jodie's Dish


Her comments:
Jodie went with the Chef's choice fish dish which was a crusted tilapia. She wasn't pleased with the dish and said it was "OK"but nothing special. She said she wouldn't have ordered it again.
Overall rating: 3/5




My dish



I had the lobster and shimp tacos stuffed with spinach, Monterrey jack and white cheddar cheeses. It was served with pico de gallo and tortilla soup.

The tacos were the best shrimp (and lobster) tacos I've ever had. The flavor was fantastic. I would most definitely order this again for the tacos alone. They could have (and should have) kept the tortilla soup because it was lacking in flavor. This still wasn't enough for me not to love the tacos. 

Overall rating: 3.5/5



Dessert

Dessert was the chef's choice. Friday's lunch dessert was beignets. We all agreed that the beignets were okay. Im used to Cafe Du Monde quality beignets so I was completely disappointed. The bread was warm but extremely doughy and I like my beignets like and flaky.

Overall, the trip to Nonno Tonys was fun because I was with my coworkers and for $10, the deal was amazing. Even though nothing wowed me outside of their tacos, I could definitely see myself going back to give nonno tonys another chance. 


Overall experience: 3/5

Galveston Restaurant Week lasts until January 24th.

Newer Post Older Post Home

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you enjoyed your trip to Nonno Tonys! I loved reading this article! Your article reminds me of my trip to Boston restaurants. I went there with my family. We had great time in Boston. Really memorable journey!

    ReplyDelete