NATURALS: CONSIDERING SISTERLOCKS? HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

By | 2:13 PM 9 comments


About a year and a half ago, I decided that it was time to do something different with my hair. 


I have been natural since 2010 and those years seemed to fly by. What started out as an experiment to see if "natural was for me", has turned to almost 5 years of embracing my kinky hair and sparked a journey to self-love.

I don't ever see myself going relaxed again. BUTTTT....Its time for a change. I considered locking my hair or cutting it and starting over. I decided to loc my hair. Why?

Its something completely new.
Ive shaved my hair bald before. Ive cut my hair. Both experiences were new and scary and amazing. I want to feel that again.


I cannot style my hair worth a damn.
Ive watched every youtube video on the PLANET and still Im reduced to a mohawk, a twist out (that I have yet to perfect), two-strand twists, a puff, a bun and a beautifully wild fro. Im not saying you don't have to style locs because thats far from the truth, but its not nearly as much work as a fro is when you have zero skills and you're looking like Mr. Glass from the movie unbreakable in the morning because you took your twists out before they dried.




I call this style the "fuck-it" (with a side-part of course.)

Locs are beautiful.
I'm lucky enough to have friends who rock the HELL out of some locs and have encouraged me to get started on this journey. Even if you don't have friends who are loced, the internet is a beautiful resource. You can follow several blogger's websites and youtube channels for info on how to loc, how to maintain, styling and more. (Chescalocs is my favorite loc'ed youtuber)

After deciding to loc my hair, I spent months researching on how to care for them. There i found out about sisterlocks. Sisterlocks are extremely small locs that are formed using a tool on a specific grid pattern. This is a trademarked style and for your sister locks to be "official" you have to use a certified  sister locks consultant. These are extremely versatile and can be installed on relaxed hair (you have to have 1.5 inches minimum of natural hair at the roots however). Also if you've ever had to worry about the "professionalism" of locs ( i hate having to think about this), these are a great size.

Important points:
- Sisterlocks (official sisterlocks) are EXPENSIVE. They can cost $400-$2500 to install, and even more if you choose to get extensions. Expect to pay $75-150 for maintenance every 4-8 weeks.
-The installation process is LONG and can take 1-3 full days depending on how long they work on your hair each day.


Still interested? Here are some sisterlock resources

Sisterlocked Youtubers I love: (click on their names for links to their pages)

CurlyNuGrowth (although she now has freeform locks, she has a well documented series on her sister locks)

And a sisterlocked blog I love  (also because she's from Houston) is Tynette.

source: Tynette's blog 

Her blog will give you your share of fashion and amazing hair. 


So, once I found out about sister locks, I knew that was the style for me. I looked into locticians in the area, and consulted with a few of them. Sadly, none of them were in my price range. I was a bit disappointed but I still loved traditional locs and decided to move along with those.


Then I found microlocks. 



Kevin Hart's ex/reality star Torrei Hart has the PRETTIEST microlocks. 

A very similar concept to sister locks, without the trademarked grid pattern, and some are slightly larger than most sisterlocks. Also much more affordable. I did my research on those, found an amazing local loctician who does remarkable work and messaged other microlocked bloggers/youtubers.

Here are some microlock resources for you

Microlocked youtubers I love


And several different instagram accounts I found under the #microlocs hashtag.

Important points:
-These locs are not as expensive as trademarked sister locks, but still expect to pay $250-$800 and possibly more with extensions.
-The installation process can take up to a full day (13-24 hours total) but don't let those timeframes discourage you.

My main tip would be to spend a reasonable amount of time researching traditional, sister locks, freeform, and microlocs. These are (somewhat) permanent styles that all have their own pros and cons. Although the final decision was mine, I was glad to do my research, ask around, consult with stylists and inform my family and friends while making my decision. 

If you are considering sister locks, or microlocs, what made you choose them over traditional locs? If you have any questions, feel free to ask me!



Newer Post Older Post Home

9 comments:

  1. I did not know what Torrei Hart's hair was called. I knew they weren't sisterlocs. Thanks for the info. I love her hair. Cannot wait to see yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! I wondered if they were sister locks because there are some that are that big. But I read and interview with her and she said they were just microlocs. Im super excited to see how mine turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a specific reason why your hair has to be 1.5 inches of natural hair before getting sister locks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mikaila? Im not sure. I believe it is so the hair can loc a lot easier. I know as your hair grows and the loc matures your sister lock consultant/technician will cut off the relaxed ends little by little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you looked into Damian Walter at the Evolution of Style. He's Houston based and occasionally travels to do locs. He's in ATL once a month and I am hoping to get him to do mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alysha-Thanks for stopping by the blog and yep! I have looked into him. I don't know if he does microlocs or sisterlocks though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessika, so what did you end up doing? Sisterlocks or mircolocs? Can you do extensions with microlocs?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessika, so what did you end up doing? Sisterlocks or mircolocs? Can you do extensions with microlocs?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Evening! My name is Tia. I also live in the bayou city, well pearland. I came across your blog: Considering Sisterlocks...Like you i have been natural since 2009-2010 and not very savvy when it comes to styling my hair. I am currently researching Sisterlocs but like you they are TOO DAMN EXPENSIVE LOL. I wanted to know where did you get your microlocs installed? Who did them? How much? and how much to maintain them?. Im looking for something new as well. Please help a fellow Houstonian out Thanks girl.--- Tia

    ReplyDelete